45 Jewish activists from across North America gathered in Israel-Palestine to stand in coresistance with our Palestinian and Israeli partners. Over nine days, we learned, worked, and connected with partners in the South Hebron Hills, East Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Ramallah, Givat Amal, and Lyd/Lod. Together, we cleared roads, laid concrete, painted murals, rehabilitated land, planted trees and built relationships rooted in resistance that will carry this work forward.
On Friday May 3rd we joined with Palestinian and Israeli activists in groundbreaking partnership to resist occupation and annexation in the South Hebron Hills. Over 125 Palestinians, Israelis and Jewish justice seekers from around the world came together to remove barriers that prevent Palestinians from accessing basic daily needs, as well as to support their refusal to cede to the pressures of settler and military harassment.
Together, we rehabilitated the historical roads and lands of Bir il-Eid to help ensure freedom of movement, so that Palestinians in the area can access water, electricity, healthcare, and education.
In response to our efforts, the Israeli security authorities violently dispersed our group: throwing sound grenades, pushing and dragging us around, and arresting 17 activists–5 Palestinians, 7 Israelis, and 5 internationals. Amazingly and without precedence, all of the activists were released together.
On this day we joined in partnership with Masafer Yatta Council, Susiya Village Council, A-Tuwani Village Council, Youth of Sumud, the Sumud Protection Committee, the Good Shepherd Collective, The Rural Women’s Association of the South Hebron Hills, activists from the South Hebron Hills communities of Susiya, Umm al-Khair, Sarura, Tuba, and A-Tuwani, and All That’s Left: Anti-Occupation Collective.
Activists also joined in community co-resistance projects in Umm al-Khair, A-Tuwani, Sarura, Susiya and Bir il-Eid in the South Hebron Hills, Batan al-Hawa in East Jerusalem, and Givat Amal and Lydd/Lod in Israel proper.
- Milwaukee Activist’s Beating on West Bank Road Sheds Light on Changing Jewish Conversation – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- White Supremacy Threatens Safety in US and Palestine – Salon
- Anti-occupation coalition grows stronger in the face of Israeli military violence – Waging Nonviolence
- Building the infrastructures of steadfastness through joint struggle against occupation – Mondoweiss
- What Happens When Jews and Palestinians Repair Palestinian Roads? – Tikkun
- Jewish-American activists beaten and detained by Israeli soldiers in West Bank – Middle East Eye
- Video from ActiveStills
- As the Gaza crisis continues, Jewish-Palestinian solidarity is growing. Netanyahu must be terrified – The Independent UK
- The Secret to Jewish Continuity? Hard Conversations About Israel – The Forward
- Israeli army arrests 17 activists, two journalists in South Hebron Hills – +972
- Canadian Rabbi Among 17 Detained By Israeli Military While Rehabilitating Access Road – IJV Canada
- Hamilton rabbi detained by Israeli military in West Bank – Hamilton Spectator
- Photo Collection: Israeli soldiers detain foreign pro-Palestinian activists in West Bank – Anadolu Agency
- Israeli forces arrest 15 activists in Hebron – Palestine Chronicle
- Soldiers Abduct Twenty Peace Activists, Two Journalists, Near Hebron – International Middle East Media Center
- The Dvar Torah I Couldn’t Write, My Father’s Yahrzeit, and Yom HaAtzmaut – Times of Israel
- Photo Essay: Israeli forces attack a Jewish-Palestinian joint action in Southern Hebron – Mondoweiss
- On International Free Press Day, the Israeli Army arrested two Palestinian journalists – Sikha Mekomit / Local Call